Here are gas fireplace reviews because winter is coming!
But this is for real and all you want might be to curl round in your couch having hot soup, or to watch your children play with snow when you ease up in your living room, or to have a drink with your friends and have a little chit chat.
Imagine all these with a fireplace around, feels more comfy and happy, right?
So, this is the right time to get a fireplace in your house. How about getting the best gas fireplace for your home? Let’s see!
You might have already thought about having a wooden fireplace. Yes, that’s an obvious choice.
There are several alternatives available now. Certainly, they are more efficient and require a lot lesser maintenance than a wooden fireplace.
It is high time you start thinking of a gas fireplace, which is more reliable, compact, and requires no maintenance.
More importantly, it is much cheaper compared to your old wood fireplaces or the latest electric fireplaces.
You might be new to the concept of a gas fireplace. Don’t worry; our gas fireplace reviews will explain everything you want to know about them.
Check out our gas fireplace reviews that cover a variety of items for your specific needs.
- Top 16 Gas Fireplace Reviews
- 1. 36-Inch Direct Vent Fireplace by Empire Laboratories
- 2. 18-Inch Dual Burner Natural Gas Fireplace by Sure Heat
- 3. Dual Fuel Stove Fireplace by ProCom
- 4. Natural Gas Compact Stove Fireplace by Napoleon
- 5. Gas Fireplace Reviews: Dual Fuel Convertible Fireplace by Pleasant Hearth
- 6. Dual Fuel Gas Ventless Fireplace by Duluth Forge
- 7. 32-Inch Gas Stove Fireplace by Pleasant Hearth
- 8. 24-Inch Natural Gas Live Oak Log Set Fireplace by Peterson Real Fyre
- More Gas Fireplace Reviews
- 9. Liquid Propane Outdoor Fireplace by Endless Summer
- 10. Indoor Outdoor Portable Fireplace by Regal Flame
- 11. 32-Inch Natural Gas Burning Fireplace by HHT Majestic
- 12. Stone-Arch Gas Fireplace by Outdoor Great Room
- 13. Gas Fireplace Reviews: 43-Inch Ethanol Wall-Mounted Fireplace by Regal Flame
- 14. Sure Heat BRO18NG Burnt River Oak Vented Gas Log Set
- 15. Endless Summer Outdoor Fire Bowl
- Gas Fireplace Reviews: Advantages
- Gas Fireplace Reviews: Choosing the Best Gas Fireplace for Your Home
- Gas Fireplace Reviews: Thinking About the Environment
- Gas Fireplace Reviews: Our Verdict
Top 16 Gas Fireplace Reviews
1. 36-Inch Direct Vent Fireplace by Empire Laboratories
This gas fireplace from Empire Laboratories is a great addition to your house or a loved one’s house.
- It has a contoured burner that can generate heat of up to 20,000 BTU. It also has an 85% efficiency rate.
- For the design, it has a large tempered glass that resists heat and provides a great view for your family and your visitors.
- The fireplace also comes with a remote control so that you can easily adjust the fireplace for your comfort.
- You also have the option to choose between natural or liquid propane gas since it has a dual fuel system feature.
- Moreover, the hem-bent seams will eliminate screwing and fastening.
You can regulate the heat depending on your preference. It also has 5 pieces of logs that are up to create a more relaxing and warm environment.
Do you want a gas fireplace that is safe for the environment? Check out this natural gas fireplace from Sure Heat.
You can relax more with this fireplace knowing that it is eco-friendly.
You will not have any problems using this fireplace since you do not need to use wood or ash. Therefore, you will not need to burn wood.
- It also comes with 6 ceramic logs that are designed beautifully. The details are hand-painted, so you get realistic flames from this fireplace.
- Because it is certified by the CSA, it can heat a large room that has 1,200 to 1,500 square feet.
- With a 98% efficiency rate, you can expect a remarkable performance from this fireplace.
Controlling it is easy because it comes with a push ignition button and a valve system.
Having a large viewing area, this ProCom gas fireplace provides you the pleasure of giving a great view and lets you look at lifelike flames.
For much-needed relaxation, you will not go wrong with this.
- Because of the dual-fuel feature, you have the freedom to choose between the 2 fuel types for this fireplace.
- For safety concerns, the manufacturer equipped it with an Oxygen Depletion Sensor, automatic shut-off, internal, non-adjustable regulator to prevent over firing.
- The heat generated from its 2 burners is up to 25,000 BTU. Thus, it can warm up a room area of up to 1,100 square feet.
- It comes with a thermostat control that is built-in so you can turn it off and on and keep your preferred temperature all the time.
- The fireplace cuts down the consumption of electricity because it has a free-vent feature.
- Moreover, it comes with 5 realistic and beautiful logs to make your home more ambient and elegant.
Check for your region’s rules and regulations on a ventless gas fireplace before buying this product.
One of the most striking features of this fireplace from Napoleon is the amount of warmth it provides.
You know that this fireplace is great because it has a BTU of 20,000. Giving it a beautiful ambiance is its brilliant ember and great log set.
Even though it mainly operates using natural gas, you can change it to propane.
You just need to send an email and they will provide a conversion kit.
You can have this in your bathroom since it is waterproof and the controls are easy.
It also disperses heat evenly, so you will feel the same warmth regardless if you are near or far from this fireplace.
You do not need to plug it in since it can be operated on natural gas or propane.
The dual-fuel feature of this Pleasant Hearth fireplace is outstanding.
That is because you can use either natural or liquid propane gas to fire it up giving you more options.
It can give your living space a unique feel and soothing warmth.
- It is also vent-free and provides heat of up to 27,000 BTU. Therefore, you can enjoy its functionality and aesthetics.
- Since it has an electric spark ignition, it can make a room of up to 1,000 square feet warm.
- It also has a safety feature wherein the unit will automatically turn off once the oxygen levels are too low.
- Moreover, you have the option of adding a blower.
Duluth Forge Ventless Fireplace is a simple design that would perfectly fit your living room.
This is a modern design equipped with remote control, oxygen depletion sensor with an automatic shut-off, battery-assisted piezo ignition, etc.
So, you can have hassle-free winters from now onward.
It is provided with five hand-painted ceramic fiber logs that give a realistic appearance to your home.
This insert-type fireplace uses natural gas or propane as fuel.
- It can produce heat of up to 26,000 BTU and can warm up a room area of 1,350 square feet.
- This is a ventless zero-clearance unit that does not require a chimney for functioning that makes you fix it to any wall or you can pair it with any face mantel.
- Blowers are also available for this product which you may have to buy separately.
This is one of the highly-priced gas fireplaces in the market, but it is really worth your money.
Although this gas fireplace from Pleasant Hearth may seem compact, it can generate heat of up to 30,000 BTU and make a room of up to 1,000 square feet warm.
Since it is a freestanding fireplace, you can place it anywhere in your house without any difficulty. You can also have it as your corner fireplace.
It has an advanced feature that makes operation possible even without a flue or chimney.
You have the liberty of choosing the temperature you want as well.
Before the oxygen level of the unit becomes too low, its oxygen depletion sensor automatically shuts down the unit.
Even though this Peterson Real Fyre works only on natural gas, it can give you that much-needed relaxation.
- The hand-painted logs are so beautiful that they look almost real. These are made from quality refractory ceramics, so they still provide ample heat even after you turn off the fireplace.
- Every log comes with a steel rod insert for optimal reinforcement. These efficiently burn because of the logs’ structure.
- Nevertheless, the heat it can generate is more important. With a BTU of 75,000, it can easily warm up a large room.
It has an efficient vented design that is environmentally friendly.
Using a match light system, you can enjoy the brilliance of the flickering flames once it is operated.
What other buyers liked about this unit is that it is very easy to install.
More Gas Fireplace Reviews
In colder seasons, a lot of people are interested in gathering and having parties in their patios or decks at home.
Therefore, it is a good investment to get this fire table from Endless Summer. It is a small fire table that uses liquid propane to operate.
Its appearance is sleek because its tank is hidden in a special compartment.
- The fireplace has a lava rock and a hidden control panel. Therefore, operating it is a breeze.
- It also starts fast because of its quality electric ignition system. Also, this unit can generate heat of up to 30,000 BTU.
If you want a unique fireplace that you can use indoors and outdoors, it is recommended to check out this fireplace from Regal Flame.
Aside from being able to use it inside or outside your home, it is a great decorative addition to any area you install.
- The swaying flames are inside the panels made of glass. Therefore, it is easy to enjoy the relaxing view of this unit.
- Moreover, it can heat an area of up to 400 square feet.
You have the heat you need because it is vent-free. Because it is operated using ethanol, this fireplace can be used for up to 2 – 4 hours and can be switched off or ignited easily.
If you want another option for a log burner, or you just want something new for your fireplace, this is a great option to consider.
This natural gas fireplace from Majestic has all the fireplace options and features that you likely want or need. This is easy to install due to its slim structure.
Moreover, it also has an electric ignition for easier operation. Its interiors are versatile because you can personalize them.
You can either have a traditional fireplace design or a contemporary one depending on what you want. Since it has a shallow depth, it does not take much space making it suitable for any homes.
The heat that it can generate ranges from 15,000 to 24,000 BTU. Also, it has 8 logs that are made of ceramic fiber.
Thus, you can expect a sophisticated look in your place. It also has a direct-vent feature which eliminates all of the exhaust from combustion in your home.
This is another great outdoor fireplace that you can consider getting.
Outdoor Great Room has a good reputation for manufacturing quality outdoor fireplaces. Therefore, you wouldn’t likely go wrong with this.
- Compared to other traditional outdoor fireplaces, this is smaller. Thus, its size is ideal to be placed out in your deck or any outdoor space.
- It is made from stainless steel, and the unit is covered.
- The unit seems to be handmade. That is due to the arch hearth and accent made of a dark brownstone.
Exterior-grade stucco is what makes up the rest of the fireplace’s facade. The unit utilizes propane.
Nevertheless, if you opt to use natural gas you can use an adapter. Since you can adjust the height of the flames, your backyard will never be the same.
This big fireplace from Regal Flame is a nice addition to your home since it has a modern design.
- It also provides enough warmth during the cold months. It functions on ethanol and has a BTU of 12,000, so it can generate enough heat in a room up to 850 square feet.
- The large swaying flames have a height of 14 inches. Since it has no vents, it is efficient and gives heat that can last for 4 to 6 hours.
You do not need to keep logs or have a firewood rack. Therefore, you can save time cleaning up dust and ashes.
Aside from being efficient, the overall look is majestic. Therefore, it is hard not to catch your visitors’ attention.
If you are really fond of a wooden fireplace and couldn’t afford to pay for one, the SURE Heat-gas log set is an ideal choice for you.
It is provided with 8 hand-painted refractory cement logs stacked on a tiered grate that resembles a wooden fireplace.
They will give you a realistic flame like that of a wooden fireplace with lesser maintenance.
- It comes with an innovative U-shaped dual burner, pan, grate, shale, and connecting hardware.
- The fireplace is equipped with high-performance embers which are twice as glowing as normal embers.
- It will fit in a fireplace with minimum dimensions of 28X21X15’’ and has got a manually controlled valve.
- You must have a natural gas supply and a working flue or chimney.
- It will provide you an output efficiency of 50,000 Btus with 12% efficiency.
With the compact design and decorative base Endless, Summer Outdoor fire bowl is all you wanted during winters, without emptying your pockets much.
Its slate tile mantle and the durable steel bowl are other attractions.
It has electronic ignition technology and a hidden gas tank. This one provides an output rating of 30,000 Btus.
- This one comes with a protective cover and a one-year warranty.
- To add to the elegance and ambiance of fire bowls with colored glass chips are also available.
- With a size of 31.5X31.5X24.2 inches, you can fit it anywhere in your house.
- It is really easy to assemble and requires no maintenance at all.
With its decorative design, the Endless Summer Outdoor Fire Bowl will be a classic statement to your living space.
Gas Fireplace Reviews: Advantages
Wooden fireplaces are no doubt, add beauty to your room and make it nostalgic. But to have the same effects with lesser maintenance would be a great idea.
And that’s what a gas fireplace is all about. It brings you the same ambiance, but with lesser efforts.
No more wood chopping, seasoning, or ash removals. You get more efficient fireplaces with fewer efforts and maintenance.
Isn’t that a great idea? So, let’s see how gas fireplaces dominate over your wooden fireplace.
Less Space, Easy Installation
When compared to wooden fireplaces, gas fireplaces require less room to install.
Also, if you have an existing wooden fireplace, you can easily convert them to a gas fireplace using the insert type of gas fireplace. It takes only a few hours to install a gas fireplace with a technician around.
You can install it anywhere. It fits in your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, or basement. The cost of installation is really less compared to that of a wooden fireplace.
Less Fuel, More Heat
Gas fireplaces are highly efficient. They provide you more than 70% heat output, whereas your wooden fireplaces give you only 20-30% heat output.
The problem you come across with wooden fireplaces is that it requires constant attention and you have to supply wood in between to keep it burning. With gas fireplaces, you can have a constant supply of heat with less maintenance.
Gas fireplaces with thermosetting controls are also available which enables you to adjust heat to your requirements.
Another additional feature is the remote control. You can on/off your gas fireplace using a remote control.
Forget about Chimney
If you are worried about having a chimney to install a new fireplace, always go for a gas fireplace. With the availability of a ventless gas fireplace, you can have a fireplace without a chimney.
If you have an existing wooden fireplace fitted with a chimney, no worries. You can use this existing chimney for a vented gas fireplace.
Gas fireplaces are popular for their clean-burning features. With the gas fireplace, you need not have to worry about the ashes to dispose of, wood remains to clean, or the chimney maintenance.
Less Worry on Budget
When compared to your wooden fireplaces, these are a lot cheaper. With the minimum amount paid, you will get fireplaces that are highly energy-efficient compared to your wooden fireplace.
Gas Fireplace Reviews: Choosing the Best Gas Fireplace for Your Home
Plenty of gas fireplace models are available now. Choosing the best gas fireplace among them is a herculean task.
You should always prefer the one which suits your requirements and budget. We will introduce to you, the various types of gas fireplaces based on different criteria.
Which Gas Fireplace Type to Choose: Inserts vs Built-in
Depending on the type of installation, gas fireplaces are primarily divided into inserts or built-ins. As part of our gas fireplace reviews, we differentiate the two:
Fireplace inserts are the ones that you can install inside your old or unused wooden fireplace. Thus you can save your space and get a more efficient fireplace.
Care should be taken to find the right-sized fireplace that fits inside your older fireplace. You may have to reline your existing fireplace with a vent to fit the gas fireplace.
Built-ins are suitable when you don’t have an existing fireplace and can be installed during the construction of a house or renovations.
These are similar to inserts in structure except that it has an additional metallic box surrounding it.
Why Venting is Important? Ventless vs Vented
Venting is required to dissipate the pollutants from fireplaces to the outdoors. Unlike conventional wooden fireplaces, gas fireplaces don’t produce smoke or odor but their flames produce pollutants that should be discharged safely.
When venting is considered, you have two options. Either you can go for a vented fireplace that will discharge the pollutants safely, or can choose a ventless gas fireplace that does not have any venting options.
Vented fireplaces can be a natural draft or direct vented. Vented fireplaces are always recommended because of their effectiveness in discharging pollutants.
Natural Draft/Vented Fireplace
This one makes use of your existing masonry chimney or steel chimney and directs the pollutants outside through the roof.
It doesn’t allow any fumes inside your house. You may have to reline your masonry chimney for preventing the condensation of harmful pollutants.
You may require some professional assistance to get this installed.
Direct Vented Fireplace
They do not require any chimney. There are 2 pipes in a direct vent. One pipe draws outside air into a sealed firebox for combustion and the other pipe dissipates the combustion exhausts and by-products outdoors.
A B-type vent is another option that uses a single pipe. Air for combustion is drawn from inside the room and the pollutants are discharged outdoors through an exhaust pipe. This one is not as efficient as the ventless fireplace.
A Ventless Fireplace
It does not produce any fumes, hence does not require a chimney or a vent. It can be installed anywhere in your house. They draw air from the room for combustion and are highly efficient since no heat is discharged through the chimney or vent. This is a more reliable design.
All you need is a place to fix your fireplace and a gas connection.
They are highly energy-efficient and provide you as high as 99% heat efficiency. Since they emit a lot of moisture into the atmosphere, they are not recommended in Canada and the other US States.
So, it is advised to check your region’s regulations on gas emissions before choosing these types of fireplaces.
Choice of Fuel
Choosing the fuel for your gas fireplace is the easiest thing to do. You do have only two choices here.
- Natural Gas
Among these two, natural gas is the cheapest fuel. If you have a natural gas connection at home, always go for a natural gas fireplace.
All you have to do is to connect your fireplace to your existing gas connection. Otherwise, you can opt for propane.
Gas Log Sets
If your interest is in aesthetics rather than the function of a fireplace, gas log sets are the obvious choice.
Gas log sets may not satisfy your heating requirements, but definitely they add to your room decor. They are more or less like gas stoves.
You can install it anywhere in your house if the gas supply is available. Gas log sets are the cheapest option among other gas fireplaces. You have plenty of options in a gas log set.
It’s the most attractive choice. A bed of sparkling glass chips will be a real treat to your eyes. But these are comparatively costly.
A heap of black coal burning with dancing flames will be always welcoming. This would fit right for a Victorian-era parlor. This one is cheaper.
Use stones in a mountain cabin to give a mystic feel to your room. If you are not concerned about the expenses, this one is a decent choice.
Efficiency is the foremost feature you should seek in a gas fireplace.
The most expensive one of the most decorative ones may not be the most efficient. There are several methods available to measure the efficiency of a gas fireplace.
- Steady-state measurements
- EnerGuide Fireplace Efficiency Ratings
As per steady-state measurements, the maximum efficiency is measured under controlled laboratory conditions and after running at equilibrium for a long period.
These measurements are taken by neglecting the various ways in which the losses occur in gas fireplaces. So, this one is not a reliable source for checking the efficiency of a gas fireplace.
The efficiency available at your houses will be always less than the steady-state ratings.
The EnerGuide Fireplace Efficiency Ratings (FE) is the only accepted ratings in Canada.
This is based on products tested to CSA P.4.1-02 test standards for gas fireplaces and is expressed as a percentage. This is an accurate measurement considering the performance of the fireplace throughout the heating season.
Fireplace efficiency signifies its efficiency to produce maximum heat with a minimum amount of gas. Fireplaces with 30 to 75% efficiency ratings are available. The higher the Efficiency ratings, the higher will be its efficiency.
Higher efficiency fireplaces save more energy. This standard evaluates all fireplaces including gas log sets.
How much Power You Need
The amount of energy a gas fireplace consumes in one hour refers to input rating.
The amount of heat supplied to the room is known as output ratings. Both are expressed in Btu (British thermal units). Gas fireplace output is the one you need to take into account.
You will get fireplaces with output ratings varying from 7000 to 60,000 Btus. Depending upon the size of your house, the climate in your region, and the insulation level of your room you can choose the right amount of output you require.
Use the following formula to calculate the output of your gas fireplace.
Ideal Fireplace Heat Output = Floor Area of Room (in square feet) X Ceiling Height (in feet) X Your Btu Zone
When your house is small, do not go for a high output rating fireplace. It will overheat your house and may cause discomfort. So, always select your gas fireplace unit which suits your needs.
Variable Set of Controls and Thermosets
Variable Set of Control
A variable setting control enables you to adjust the heat output. This property is also known as turndown.
This has got the advantage that you can prevent overheating and maintain comfort levels.
So, when you purchase a gas fireplace always look for the one with a variable setting control, thus you can save a lot of energy.
A gas fireplace with a wide range of turndown is always better. Gas fireplaces that can turndown to 70% of full load to 20% of full load are available now.
Gas fireplaces fitted with automatic thermosets are also available. This will automatically adjust the firing rate and keeps the room at constant temperature levels. These are extremely energy efficient.
Additional Features to Consider
As part of our gas fireplace reviews, we present some additional features you would like to have in your gas fireplace. These features improve the functionality as well as the appearance of your fireplace, making it the best for your purposes.
Normally, you use a pilot light to ignite the gas fireplace and it runs continuously. This consumes a lot of energy.
Instead, you can go for an electronic ignition that does not require continuous ignition which would save around $10 monthly.
LED Accent Lighting
Love to have a fancy gas fireplace? You can go for an LED accent lighting to decorate inside your gas fireplace.
Cozying your room in a single touch of the remote control will be an added advantage. Fireplaces that operate with remote controls are gaining popularity because of their easiness of handling.
In case of a power shortage, a battery backup would be helpful to maintain warmth in your house. So, hereafter power breakdowns won’t affect your comfort.
Draws air from inside the room into the fireplace and delivers hot air. It accelerates the process of heating your room.
Where to Install Your Fireplace
You should give due attention to the installation of gas fireplaces.
You should install it by ensuring that it provides maximum heat inside your house. It’s not just the heat output, the appearance and the look the gas fireplace gives are also of paramount importance.
Placing your gas fireplace in the proper place reduces your energy consumption.
In most cases, we recommend installing the gas fireplace in the major living area. This would ensure maximum heat transfer to all portions of the house.
- If your house has an open design, heat transfer will be quick and will reach the whole house.
- If the design of your house is such that you can only install to an exterior wall, make sure to insulate the gas fireplace to minimize heat loss.
- Moreover, to ensure minimum heat loss, a gas fireplace can be installed on an interior wall.
The most advantageous part of modern gas fireplaces is that you can install them in almost every part of your house whether it is your bathroom, bedroom, patio, living room, or basement.
Gas Fireplace Reviews: Thinking About the Environment
Indeed, gas fireplaces do not produce any ashes while burning and are environment-friendly. But that doesn’t mean that they are an absolutely clean source of energy. Gas fireplaces also produce small amounts of carbon monoxide and other gases.
Natural gas and propane produce nitrogen oxides and carbon dioxide on burning which are harmful to the atmosphere. Incomplete combustion leads to carbon monoxide emissions. Gas fireplaces also release large amounts of moisture into the atmosphere.
Keeping in mind the harmful effects of a gas fireplace, we recommend that you use an energy-efficient fireplace with good maintenance.
Still, when you compare to wooden fireplaces, they are comparatively less harmful to the environment.
Gas Fireplace Reviews: Our Verdict
We have given a detailed explanation of everything you should know before purchasing a gas fireplace for your home.
Now it’s your choice to select an energy-efficient fireplace to keep yourself at ease.
Keeping in mind your requirements and budget you can choose from a variety of gas fireplaces. So, don’t hesitate.
Now the ball is in your court: Grab your choice from our gas fireplace reviews and prepare to enjoy your winter.